From the Assistant Headmaster for Curriculum and Instruction
Thank you for taking time to visit the Academic Section of our website. As you review these pages, I invite you to spend some time with the Academic Platform for our school which includes the categories of: Core Values, Rigorous Curriculum, Theory of Standards, Implementation of Standards, Focus on the Learner, Technology Integration, and our Academic Plan. The core purpose of the platform is to articulate the fundamental educational principles and practices that guide teaching and learning in our school.
The Academic Platform articulates our school’s focus on treating students as individuals, supporting students in their ongoing growth, meeting the needs of individual students, ensuring growth and learning, and utilizing the best educational practices in our classrooms.
The Academic Platform is a useful tool that we expect to generate deeper understanding of the ways that we approach teaching and learning in our school. In addition to the values articulated above, you will also learn more about the following components of our academic plan:
- Commitment to academic rigor at all levels, for all students.
- Utilization of CTP4 and IB standards as the backbone of the schools curriculum sequence.
- Active, engaged, and collaborative classrooms as the focus of daily instruction.
- Assessment practices that result in accurate, meaningful, consistent grades that are supportive of student learning.
Should you have any questions or would like to discuss any element of our Academic Plan, please do not hesitate to contact me directly for a more detailed discussion with about the core principles of teaching and learning in the school.
- Students learn best when they are actively engaged.
- Highly developed critical thinking skills are essential for success in the 21st century.
- It is incumbent upon the school to develop students who are self directed, intrinsically motivated learners.
- Relevant lessons and high expectations are the foundation of rigorous learning at all levels of the curriculum.
- Technology affords schools increasing opportunities to individualize instruction and re-imagine the structure of our lessons in ways that maximize student learning.
- There is no replacement for a committed and effective teacher who is passionate about the growth and development of each and every student they work with.