Winston Churchill said, “You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give.” Such a sentiment is the rationale behind the Windermere Prep Middle School Community Service program. Encouraging students to give of themselves puts both the “virtus” and “unitas” of our crest into action.
• On a scheduled fall day, the entire middle school student population participates in community service. Each grade level works on a specific mission so that students are exposed to a variety of community service venues as they progress through their WPS educational career. This sampling offers students a myriad of experiences, preparing them for their independent community service program in high school.
◦ 6th grade Second Harvest Food Bank
◦ 7th grade Environmental Ambassadors at DO GOOD Farm
◦ 8th grade Give Kids the World (for 2020: hygiene kits for local needs)
• In addition, students strengthen the relationships with their venue throughout the year, focusing all community service efforts on one area.
◦ NJAHS hosts “Empty Bowls for Hunger” to raise funds for Second Harvest Food Bank.
◦ 7th grade harvests their campus garden to donate crops to Second Harvest Food Bank.
◦ The 6th grade champions a school-wide food drive for WESH’s “Share your Christmas.”
• To further cement the learning from community service, students prepare for their excursions with in-depth lessons and follow up with the experience with meaningful reflections. ~ Mary Beth Davies, Middle School Director