Hong Kong offers excellent choice for schooling, including government-run and private schooling options. However, competition for places at the best schools can be fierce and waiting lists are common. Securing your child’s school place early is a must. Please contact our Admissions Office at email@example.com or call us on +852 3958 1488 if you have any questions about living in Hong Kong or schooling.
Types of school available
There are four types of school available in Hong Kong:
- Government schools or Aided (government subsidised) schools
- Private schools
- International schools (offering non-local curricula)
International schools in Hong Kong
Typically expatriates and locals seeking an international education for their child will send their child to an international school like ours to experience a truly global education.
Curricula on offer include international programmes such as the International Baccalaureate (IB), or country-specific curricula such as British, American, Canadian, French, German, Norwegian and Chinese, amongst others. The quality of international schools can vary so it is worth parents spending time researching the schools that they are considering to check their academic standards and quality. See how we do this at, for example, through the Global Campus.
Securing a place for your child
Places in good international schools in Hong Kong are competitive. Parents should start talking to schools as early as they can about a place for their child.
We recommend the following approach:
- If you are moving to Hong Kong for the first time, then consider confirming your child’s school place before searching for your house or apartment.
- Maintain an open mind about the location of the schools that you look at. Hong Kong is quick and easy to travel around and so do not restrict your search by only looking at schools close to your new home.
- Make a long list of schools that you would like to look at and make contact with them all straight away to start discussions, find out about availability of places and book visits.
- Ask your employer if they have any agreements (such as corporate debentures) in place for employees and their families for schools in Hong Kong. Some individuals also purchase debenture places directly for a school. These enable families to have quicker access to a place at the school of their choosing.
- Apply early for your child’s place when you have selected a school and pay any admission fees quickly. Make sure you have all the required paperwork ready to go.