Today’s Primary Learning Celebration Assembly was a great way to end a week of varied learning experiences, both in and out of the classroom.
We celebrated student successes in English, with students from Year 1 to 6 showcasing their fantastic progress and pieces of work.
- A wonderfully descriptive poem about Ancient Egypt;
- Students listening to advice on how to edit and improve their writing;
- A story about pond monsters (but do not worry, the monsters were just shadows!);
- A reworking of the traditional tale ‘Rapunzel’;
- Students ‘up levelling’ their work by adding a wide range of ambitious vocabulary;
- A number students have been praised for the effort they have put into improving their knowledge and understanding of English;
- We even had instructions for making wormy spaghetti for mean husbands!
We also celebrated the various sports teams that have represented the school brilliantly in various tournaments. In each event they demonstrated great determination and gave their absolute best. However, just as important was the way they conducted themselves, with respect for their opponents, hosts and officials.
A number of our Year 5/6 students from CISD and NAIS AK attended the Young Engineers and Scientists Workshop at Texas A&M University at Qatar. Throughout the day students collaborated to solve real life problems using engineering and ingenuity.
To complete their IPC topic ‘Buildings’ our Year 2 students visited the Museum of Islamic Art Park to have a closer look at Doha’s skyline. They used a wide range of materials to create their own versions of Doha cityscapes. A number of these are proudly displayed outside the Year 2 classrooms.
Last but not least…our Student Council have been set the task of improving our playground markings, equipment and provisions. On Wednesday morning, they went on a fact-finding mission to our Gharaffa campus to see how students there use the playtime equipment and markings. I look forward to their proposal for a new-look playground!
I hope to see many of you at our EAL workshop on Monday and on Wednesday morning for our Secondary School Information session.
Have a lovely weekend.
Head of Primary, Madinat Khalifa