When we see a building like Landmark 81, we marvel at what has been achieved, however, crucial to the success of any architectural triumph is getting the foundations right. Back in July 2016 there was a similar celebration when Landmark 81’s foundations were completed, although it did not get as much media attention.
At the Early Years and Infant Campus we do not see the final achievements of students who have completed their studies and are heading off to the world’s top universities; the Year 13 graduation is a moment to be celebrated. Instead, we celebrate the laying of the foundations of learning. In order for our secondary students to achieve what they do they need to have solid foundations, in what we call the prime areas, namely:
- Communication and Language
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Physical Development
On Wednesday morning, F1 held a Physical Development Morning. Thank you to all the parents who came along to celebrate their child’s development in this area. The range of activities demonstrated the different elements of physical development, from jumping off platforms to threading beads on to a string. When the children returned to the F1 unit, parents enjoyed refreshments and had an opportunity to ask questions about the wider aspects of their child’s physical development including eating, drinking and sleeping.
Ms Hayley, our F1 leader, has explained more in this post:
F1 Physical Development Morning
The children in Y1 continue to meet their friends from Thien Phuoc in the new environment at the Early Years and Infant Campus. They have been enjoying their visits to the Fundinotots room, exploring the resources and activities set out. Ms Samantha, one of our Community Leaders, explains more here about why our Community Service programme is so special and valuable to both children at BIS and children from our community partners.
Welcome Ms Vu – Our New Cashier and Receptionist
I would like to introduce you to Ms Vu who joined our administration team on Thursday this week. Ms Vu has the dual role of cashier and receptionist. She will join Ms Palm in our Reception, and will be available to answer queries in both English and Vietnamese, as well as receiving any cash payments that need to be made at the campus.
Please join me in welcoming Ms Vu to the BIS HCMC staff.
Headteacher’s Coffee Morning
Next week, on Wednesday 21st March at 8.15am in the Multi-Purpose Room at the Junior Campus, we will host our Primary Headteacher’s Coffee Morning with Mr Simon and myself. This is a great opportunity to hear about recent updates across both sites and some information about the upcoming Progress Update that you will receive just before Parent Teacher Student Conferences and moving forward as one with one PTG. As always there will be the opportunity to raise any school related issues or concerns with the leadership teams from both campuses. We hope you will be able to join us.
Family Information Sheets
Next week each child will receive ‘Family Information Sheets’ that will need to be completed and returned to school. It is extremely important that we have up to date and accurate information for each student in case of an emergency. The sheets will be accompanied by a letter with more detail as to why we need the sheets and what needs to be included. Please do look out for this next week.
Children can start at BIS when they are 2 years old. Fundinotots is the ‘BIS Baby and Toddler Group’ where parents of children aged 0 to 36 months can meet other parents and allow their children to engage in a range of activities. Fundinotots is now based on the new Early Years and Infant Campus. Find out more here:
Health and Safety
It’s hot out there! Please ensure your children bring their sun hats and water bottles to school every day. In addition, please do apply sunscreen to your children before the school day. Keeping safe in the sun is an important part of what we teach the children.
Safeguarding at school – it’s everyone’s responsibility
If, during your visit to school, you have any reason to be concerned about the safety of a young person, please contact the Designated Safeguarding Person.
Please note that CCTV cameras are in operation at all times across the campus.
Traffic – Driver’s Code of Conduct
Once again I would like to thank everyone for their efforts in helping the traffic flow outside school. As a community, we need to work to reduce the number of vehicles on the road and do all we can to make sure that the traffic keeps flowing, whilst at the same time showing consideration to other road users and our neighbours.
For those of you who do travel to school in a car, can I remind you of our Driver’s Code of Conduct? If we follow these rules, it will be better for everyone.
- Never stop on or near to a pedestrian crossing – in order to ensure that our families can cross the road safely, please instruct your driver to park as far away from the main gates as possible to avoid congestion. Try walking a short distance to keep cars down to a minimum.
- No cars should be parked for long periods of time outside of school – ask your driver to meet you at a convenient location away from the school gates and please ask them to never double park as this stops the flow of traffic at peak times.
- Stop, drop and go – take a maximum of 15 seconds to drop off your child and they can walk into school. Try it as it will speed up your journey and that of others too.
- Never U Turn along the stretch of road outside the campuses – tell your driver to drive away from school and if they have to U Turn, please do so on the wider, less congested roads. Try the route past the Junior campus along Nguyen Van Huong, as an alternative way to get home – it may take a few extra minutes driving but it will save the time you spend in traffic.
- Ask your driver to show respect to our guards and follow their instructions – they are there to keep you all safe and have a difficult job when drivers ignore their instructions.
Hướng dẫn lái xe dành cho tài xế
Nhằm đảm bảo an toàn giao thông cho học sinh trường BIS ngoài khuôn viên trường trước và sau giờ học, phụ huynh vui lòng dành một ít thời gian để thảo luận các điều sau với tài xế của mình.
- Không dừng gần hoặc trên vạch dành cho người đi bộ – nhằm đảm bảo an toàn cho các gia đình khi băng qua đường, vui lòng yêu cầu tài xế đậu xe cách xa cổng trường để tránh tắc nghẽn giao thông. Xin vui lòng đi bộ một quãng ngắn để hạn chế số lượng ô tô xung quanh trường.
- Không đậu xe lâu dọc hành lang bên ngoài trường – vui lòng yêu cầu tài xế đợi bạn ở một địa điểm thuận tiện cách xa cổng trường và không đậu song song với một ô tô khác vì sẽ gây tắc nghẽn giao thông vào giờ cao điểm.
- Chỉ được dừng, không được đậu xe – Không dừng xe quá 15 giây khi thả học sinh trước cổng trường. Học sinh sẽ tự đi bộ vào trong sân trường.
- Không quay đầu xe trên quãng đường bên ngoài cơ sở Junior và cơ sở Secondary – yêu cầu tài xế lái xe ra xa trường và quay đầu xe ở những khúc đường rộng hơn, giao thông thông thoáng hơn. Hãy đi đường Nguyễn Văn Hưởng đoạn phía trên cơ sở Junior – điều này có thể mất thêm vài phút lái xe nhưng sẽ tránh cho bạn bị kẹt xe.
- Yêu cầu tài xế tôn trọng các bảo vệ và tuân theo chỉ dẫn của họ – nhân viên bảo vệ có trách nhiệm bảo đảm việc lưu thông được an toàn và họ sẽ gặp khó khăn trong công việc nếu tài xế không tuân theo các chỉ dẫn.
- Giải thích với tài xế rằng hành động của họ phản ánh hình ảnh gia đình bạn – yêu cầu tài xế tôn trọng quy định của nhà trường để trường BIS trở nên tốt nhất có thể.
Explain to your driver that their actions reflect upon your family – ask them to respect all of our school community to make our school the very best that it can be.
25/3/18 – Spring Fair 10am – 2pm @ the Early Years and Infant Campus
4/4/18 – PTG Social Evening
5/4/18 – School Disco for Year 1 @ the Junior Campus
6/4/18 – Progress Report emailed to parents
10/4/18 – Parent, Teacher Student Conferences – Early Years and Infant Campus
11/4/18 – Parent, Teacher Student Conferences – Early Years and Infant Campus & Junior Campus
12/4/18 – PTG Coffee and Cake Morning in aid of Thuy’s Dreams
12/4/18 – Parent, Teacher Student Conferences – Junior Campus
BIS Primary Spring Fair
To be held on Sunday 25th March, 10-2 pm at the EY&I Campus. We are only 1 week away now from our school community and fundraising event!
Entry Tickets and Raffle Tickets are on sale now until Friday 23rd March and can be purchased as follows:
- Junior Campus at Gate A and in the canteen in the mornings and afternoons.
- EY&I Campus at Reception - Ms Palm (or Leanne/Nandini at the PTG board by PJ's coffee - morning and afternoon pick up).
- Senior School at Reception - Ms Katie.
Ticket prices 100,000 vnd per child and 50,000 vnd per adult.
We have some great raffle prizes, including hotel stays, restaurants, spa treatments and many, many more!
Raffle tickets are on sale now! There is no need to be at the Fair to win a prize so make sure you stop by and buy some!
PARENTS WE NEED YOUR HELP AS FOLLOWS PLEASE!
We need your help please to sell the Entry Tickets and Raffle Tickets at the Junior Campus (as mentioned above) - please sign up via the following link - Spring Fair Sign Up (selling entry tickets and raffle tickets)
We also need your help on the day of the event please (Sunday 25th March), if you can spare an hour (or more!) please do e-mail - firstname.lastname@example.org to register your name/s. Thank you!
Hội chợ Mùa xuân BIS
Chỉ còn 1 tuần nữa thôi là Hội chợ Mùa Xuân của BIS sẽ diễn ra tại cơ sở EY & I vào Chủ nhật ngày 25 tháng 3 từ 10 giờ sáng đến 2 giờ chiều.
Quý phụ huynh có thể mua vé vào cổng và vé rút thăm may mắn cho đến ngày 23 tháng 3 tại các địa điểm sau:
Tại cơ sở Junior: Cổng A và trong căng tin vào buổi sáng và chiều.
Tại cơ sở EY & I: Lễ tân - Cô Palm (hoặc Leanne / Nandini tại bàn đặt kế PJ’s coffee, vị trí bảng thông báo các hoạt động của PTG - buổi sáng và buổi chiều).
Tại cơ sở trung học - Cô Katie.
Giá vé 100.000 đồng / trẻ em và 50.000 đồng / người lớn.
Có rất nhiều giải thưởng xổ số tuyệt vời như voucher nghỉ dưỡng tại khách sạn, nhà hàng, spa …đang chờ đợi tất cả Quý phụ huynh!
Quý phụ huynh không cần phải có mặt tại Hội chợ để tham dự rút thăm may mắn vì thế hãy ghé trường để mua trước một vé cho mình nhé!
CHÚNG TÔI CẦN SỰ GIÚP ĐỠ CỦA TẤT CẢ QUÝ PHỤ HUYNH!
Chúng tôi cần bạn giúp đỡ để bán vé vào cửa và vé rút thăm may mắn ở cơ sở Tiểu học (như đã đề cập ở trên) - xin vui lòng đăng ký thông qua liên kết sau đây - Spring Fair Sign Up (selling entry tickets and raffle tickets)
Chúng tôi cũng cần sự giúp đỡ của bạn vào ngày diễn ra sự kiện (Chủ Nhật 25 Tháng 3), nếu bạn có thể dành một giờ (hoặc hơn thế!), vui lòng e-mail - email@example.com để đăng ký. Cảm ơn sự giúp đỡ của tất cả Quý phụ huynh!
EY&IC RECYCLING POP UP SHOP -
Your new campus needs you! The recycling pop up shop needs to have parents managing it at the new campus, just a weekly meeting with Bibi and her committee and setting up the shop once a month. No sewing involved! For more details please see the poster on the PTG board at EY&IC or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
PTG Social Evening – Wednesday 4th April
Our parent – teacher partnership is an integral part of life here at BIS HCMC with the aim of uniting the whole BIS community. As a parent or teacher at BIS you are automatically a member of the PTG. We would therefore like to invite you to our Social Evening at The Boathouse Restaurant on Wednesday 4th April 2018.
For more details about this event, please access this post by our PTG.
Save the Date! Thursday 5th April, Junior Campus as follows:
Year 1, 2 and 3 / 2.45 pm - 3.45 pm
Year 4, 5 and 6 / 4 - 5 pm
FOR INFORMATION YEAR 1 WILL HOLD THEIR DISCO AS MENTIONED ABOVE AT THE JUNIOR CAMPUS.
More details about ticket purchases will be with you next week!
Nicky on behalf of the PTG
A number of parents have contacted the school over the additional charges that have been incurred when purchasing photos of their children. I trust you have seen Mr Anthony’s email this week highlighting the procedure by which those additional costs can be refunded. I would like to stress also that the deadline for ordering photos is Friday 23rd March. Please make sure your orders are placed by this date as we cannot take any orders after this deadline has passed.
Wishing you a relaxing and enjoyable weekend.
Ian Battersby, Head of the Early Years and Infant Campus