To help you consider whether you're the sort of person who is able to easily adapt to teaching in another country, reflect on how you would respond to the statements below:
- Learn as much as possible about the host country in advance so that you have realistic expectations.
- Anticipate a challenging adjustment period of at least three months before making a decision about the move and whether you like it or not.
- Don't expect to be able to replicate your current lifestyle. Look for what is there, not for what is not.
- Always try to understand the host country's perspective. It will be different!
- Develop a tolerance for ambiguity and frustration by being flexible and open towards the new culture.
- Do not expect of the new culture the same sense of urgency or availability of conveniences.
- Look for ways to strengthen and maintain your enthusiasm.
- Maintain a sense of humour, but most importantly be ready to laugh at yourself.