A tremendous amount of hard work and organisation went into making the Spring Fair the success that it was, and I know I speak on behalf of everyone when I thank Niki and her team for all that they achieved on Sunday 25th March. You can read more about the event and see many super photos in this post by Nicky Green on behalf of the PTG:
The BIS PTG Spring Fair
FOBISIA Primary Maths Competition
The children in F3 have been grouping numbers together to make 10 and finding 1 less than a number this week. The children doing these activities are at the beginning of their journey into the world of maths. At BIS HCMC, because we have been getting the foundations right, this week we saw the fruit of that work. Against teams from all over the region, the BIS Primary Maths team were crowned champions in the annual FOBISIA competition. You can read more in this post:
BIS HCMC Crowned FOBISIA Primary Maths Champions 2018
SuperCyclingMan Visits BIS
According to the Oxford Dictionary, a hero is, ‘A person who is admired for their courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.’ Will Hodson is a former teacher from the UK who is cycling around the world (dressed as a Super Hero) with a message for children - #WeCanAllBeHeroes. When his father was diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease, he set off on his epic bike ride to raise money and make people aware of this disease. He decided to ‘be a hero’ and make a difference. The children were certainly captivated by SuperCyclingMan, and inspired to do something where they could make a difference. Next week there will be a post with more details about his visit. In the meantime, why not have a look at his website:
Children can start at BIS HCMC when they are 2 years old. Fundinotots is the ‘BIS Baby and Toddler Group’ where parents of children aged 0 to 36 months can meet other parents and allow their children to engage in a range of activities. Fundinotots is now based on the new Early Years and Infant Campus. Find out more here:
Progress Update Reports and Parent Teacher Student Conferences (PTSCs)
On Wednesday 27th March, all parents were sent a letter about our upcoming PTSCs. All the necessary details are within the letter or within the separate instructions that were sent on how to use the online sign up portal.
Some key dates to note are listed below:
- Monday April 2nd at 9am - the sign up to make appointments for the PTSCs opens for parents. Login details sent to parents.
- Monday April 2nd - Log in details to access the Primary Progress Update will be sent to all parents
- Sunday April 8th at 5pm - the sign up closes for parents.
- Tuesday 10th, Wednesday 11th and Thursday 12th – PTSCs - Please see the details in the letter about available times and locations for all teachers
Our Term 2 Progress Update will be available online for parents on Friday 6th April. The log in details for you to access your child’s report will be sent to you on Friday 6th April.
For children that have recently joined the school, you may receive a hard copy ‘Settling In Report’ for your child instead of a progress update. This will also be issued on Friday 6th April directly to you, via your child.
If you have any questions or issues regarding either the Progress Update or PTSCs, please do not hesitate to contact Ms Dee (Juniors) firstname.lastname@example.org or Ms Mary (Early Years and Infants) email@example.com.
Health and Safety
It’s hot out there! Please ensure your children bring their sun hats and water bottles to school every day. In addition, please do apply sunscreen to your children before the school day. Keeping safe in the sun is an important part of what we teach the children.
Safeguarding at school – it’s everyone’s responsibility
If, during your visit to school, you have any reason to be concerned about the safety of a young person, please contact the Designated Safeguarding Person.
Please note that CCTV cameras are in operation at all times across the campus.
Traffic – Driver’s Code of Conduct
Once again I would like to thank everyone for their efforts in helping the traffic flow outside school. As a community, we need to work to reduce the number of vehicles on the road and do all we can to make sure that the traffic keeps flowing, whilst at the same time showing consideration to other road users and our neighbours.
For those of you who do travel to school in a car, can I remind you of our Driver’s Code of Conduct? If we follow these rules, it will be better for everyone.
- Never stop on or near to a pedestrian crossing – in order to ensure that our families can cross the road safely, please instruct your driver to park as far away from the main gates as possible to avoid congestion. Try walking a short distance to keep cars down to a minimum.
- No cars should be parked for long periods of time outside of school – ask your driver to meet you at a convenient location away from the school gates and please ask them to never double park as this stops the flow of traffic at peak times.
- Stop, drop and go – take a maximum of 15 seconds to drop off your child and they can walk into school. Try it as it will speed up your journey and that of others too.
- Never U Turn along the stretch of road outside the campuses – tell your driver to drive away from school and if they have to U Turn, please do so on the wider, less congested roads. Try the route past the Junior campus along Nguyen Van Huong, as an alternative way to get home – it may take a few extra minutes driving but it will save the time you spend in traffic.
- Ask your driver to show respect to our guards and follow their instructions – they are there to keep you all safe and have a difficult job when drivers ignore their instructions.
Hướng dẫn lái xe dành cho tài xế
Nhằm đảm bảo an toàn giao thông cho học sinh trường BIS ngoài khuôn viên trường trước và sau giờ học, phụ huynh vui lòng dành một ít thời gian để thảo luận các điều sau với tài xế của mình.
- Không dừng gần hoặc trên vạch dành cho người đi bộ – nhằm đảm bảo an toàn cho các gia đình khi băng qua đường, vui lòng yêu cầu tài xế đậu xe cách xa cổng trường để tránh tắc nghẽn giao thông. Xin vui lòng đi bộ một quãng ngắn để hạn chế số lượng ô tô xung quanh trường.
- Không đậu xe lâu dọc hành lang bên ngoài trường – vui lòng yêu cầu tài xế đợi bạn ở một địa điểm thuận tiện cách xa cổng trường và không đậu song song với một ô tô khác vì sẽ gây tắc nghẽn giao thông vào giờ cao điểm.
- Chỉ được dừng, không được đậu xe – Không dừng xe quá 15 giây khi thả học sinh trước cổng trường. Học sinh sẽ tự đi bộ vào trong sân trường.
- Không quay đầu xe trên quãng đường bên ngoài cơ sở Junior và cơ sở Secondary – yêu cầu tài xế lái xe ra xa trường và quay đầu xe ở những khúc đường rộng hơn, giao thông thông thoáng hơn. Hãy đi đường Nguyễn Văn Hưởng đoạn phía trên cơ sở Junior – điều này có thể mất thêm vài phút lái xe nhưng sẽ tránh cho bạn bị kẹt xe.
- Yêu cầu tài xế tôn trọng các bảo vệ và tuân theo chỉ dẫn của họ – nhân viên bảo vệ có trách nhiệm bảo đảm việc lưu thông được an toàn và họ sẽ gặp khó khăn trong công việc nếu tài xế không tuân theo các chỉ dẫn.
- Giải thích với tài xế rằng hành động của họ phản ánh hình ảnh gia đình bạn – yêu cầu tài xế tôn trọng quy định của nhà trường để trường BIS trở nên tốt nhất có thể.
Explain to your driver that their actions reflect upon your family – ask them to respect all of our school community to make our school the very best that it can be.
4/4/18 – PTG Social Evening
5/4/18 – School Disco for Year 1 @ the Junior Campus
6/4/18 – Progress Report emailed to parents
10/4/18 – Parent, Teacher Student Conferences – Early Years and Infant Campus
11/4/18 – Parent, Teacher Student Conferences – Early Years and Infant Campus & Junior Campus
12/4/18 – PTG Coffee and Cake Morning in aid of Thuy’s Dreams
12/4/18 – Parent, Teacher Student Conferences – Junior Campus
Last Sunday, our largest Primary event of the year, the PTG Spring Fair, took place at the EY&IC. With a community focus, all those who attended experienced stalls, shows, games and a plethora of food and drink to make this an event to remember in our school calendar.
Read more about the event and have a look through some great pictures of the day in this post:
BIS PTG Spring Fair
There are exciting times ahead at BIS HCMC; the School Disco is coming again on Thursday 5th April in the gym at the Junior Campus! There will be dancing, games, snacks and general awesomeness for Years 1/2/3 from 2.45-3.45pm and Years 4/5/6 from 4-5pm.
There is extra excitement for Years 4/5/6 as we will again have a request box for your favourite song! The best and most requested will be played at the disco. Drop your song choices into the box which will be placed at the ticket sales desk.
Come along and have loads of fun! From the Disco Committee.
(Please remember Year 1 that your disco is at the JUNIOR campus in the Gym as mentioned above! Children will need to be collected by a parent or carer and escorted to the Junior Campus).
Disco Tickets are 50,000VND each, and will be available from next Tuesday as follows -
Gate A - Junior Campus - morning and afternoon
Canteen - Junior Campus - morning and afternoon
Ms Palm and Ms Vu - Reception at Early Years & Infant Campus - all day!
If you can help to sell the disco tickets at the Junior campus please sign up via the following link - Disco
PTG Social Evening – Wednesday 4th April
Our parent – teacher partnership is an integral part of life here at BIS HCMC with the aim of uniting the whole BIS community. As a parent or teacher at BIS you are automatically a member of the PTG. We would therefore like to invite you to our Social Evening at The Boathouse Restaurant on Wednesday 4th April 2018.
For more details about this event, please access this post by our PTG.
EY&IC RECYCLING POP UP SHOP -
Your new campus needs you! The recycling pop up shop needs to have parents managing it at the new campus, just a weekly meeting with Bibi and her committee and setting up the shop once a month. No sewing involved! For more details please see the poster on the PTG board at EY&IC or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Nicky on behalf of the PTG
Easter Holiday Sports Camp
This year’s Easter Sports Camps will be held during our Easter break (Monday 16th to Friday 20th April and Monday 23rd – Friday 27th April).
Following the successes of previous holiday programmes, the activities on offer are action packed with football, basketball, t-ball, skills factory and swimming from providers such as Rising Stars Football Academy, FOX, SSA, Mr Vinh and Mr Richard.
Please click here to see the clubs on offer.
Copies of the reply slips can be collected from the Junior Office. All fees must be paid to the Cashier no later than Friday 6th April to secure your child’s place.
Please note that there will be minimum numbers of 6 students applied to each camp. If you do not receive an email from Mr Phil Husband, Director of Sports in the week leading up to the camp, please presume that the camp has sufficient numbers and that it will go ahead.
I do hope that you will take this opportunity to benefit from this high level of coaching and your child enjoys the fun and exciting environment created at BIS HCMC.
This weekend is an important one in both the Christian (Easter) and Jewish (Passover) calendars. A Passover seder is being organised on Saturday night (31st March) for Jewish families in Ho Chi Minh City. If any families are interested, please contact James Elkins (email@example.com) +84 (0) 169 540 0654 for more information.
To those families who are celebrating, I would like to wish you a Happy Easter or Chag Sameach – Happy Passover! To everyone, I hope you have relaxing and enjoyable weekend.
Ian Battersby, Head of the Early Years and Infant Campus