On Wednesday 27th March, Pamela Duncan spoke to a group of parents about Growth Mindset. She discussed what mindset is, why it is important and what parents can do at home to positively influence a child’s inner belief systems. Pamela introduced parents to the power of YET and the idea that parents can reinforce to their child when they are finding things hard, that they can’t do it YET, but with age, practise and perseverance that they will be able to.
Pamela also spoke to parents about praise and feedback and the importance of focusing not on the person but on their EFFORT, STRATEGY AND PERSISTENCE. She shared some ideas with parents of what they could say from https://mindsetkit.org/:
- Great effort! You must have worked really hard.
- You really studied for your test and your improvement shows it.
- I like the way you tried all kinds of strategies on that maths problem until you finally got it.
- I love the way you stayed at your desk, you kept your concentration, and you kept on working.
- Wow, you really practised that, and look how you've improved.
- See, you studied more and your grade on this test is higher.
- You tried different strategies and you figured out how to solve the problem.
- You stuck to this and now you really understand it.
Here are some examples of books and videos that Pamela shared for parents to use at home with their children to help reinforce Growth Mindset. Look out for some of these books in the Early Years and Infant library:
Some examples of songs and videos that you can share with your children are:
Watch out for more Community Talks in Term 3 in both English and Vietnamese.
Ms Sarah Bonner, Fundinotots Teacher