UKMT Maths Challenge
Last month fifty of our finest Mathematicians competed in the UKMT Junior Mathematical Challenge, a global mathematics competition for children aged up to and including, Year 8. The highest 40% of scorers across the world are awarded either a bronze, silver or gold certificate and we are delighted to share with you that exactly 70% of our children achieved a score that was high enough to be awarded a certificate. To achieve a gold certificate, the children needed to be in the highest 7% globally and an incredible 30% of the Junior Campus children who entered achieved a gold certificate. In addition, the highest 1200 scorers are invited to enter a further competition for elite mathematicians and two children from our campus have scored highly enough to compete. The school would like to congratulate Byung Joon Kang and JeongWoo Ha, both from Year 5, on their amazing success and wish them the best of luck in the Mathematical Olympiad 2021!
LiF Mother Language Challenge
We are now in Week 4 of our LiF Mother Language Challenge! This time, you need to put on your apron and get cooking! Remember, you still have time to do any challenges you have missed. For information about how to get involved, visit the Language in Focus Blog.
Last term some of our Junior and Secondary choir students took part in the ‘FOBISIA Voices’ event. They learned a specially commissioned song called ‘There will Always Be Music’. 24 Schools across Asia recorded their students singing the song to form a huge ‘virtual choir’. Stay tuned for the final video on 1st June!
Moving On Workshop
We look forward to welcoming families that are leaving BIS this year, to join us for our Moving on Workshop. This is aimed at helping to support our BIS families through both school administrative tasks as well as wider questions and concerns associated with the transition to a new country and school. With input from our Leadership Team, Admissions Department and Counsellors, the webinar aims to support all of our school community in their transition from BIS. It will take place on Tuesday 8th June from 9am to 10am. An invite will be sent to all departing families from the Admissions Team.
Health and Safety
COVID Procedures at the Junior Campus
Key points to remember are:
- If your child is sick with a cough, temperature or cold, please keep them off school. Please notify Ms Nhi Nhi.Mai@bisvietnam.com 028 3744 4551 in the office and their class teacher of their absence.
- Temperature checks on arrival. Students coming to school with a temperature above 37.8 degrees celsius will be checked twice more and if their temperature is still high, parents will be asked to take them home.
- Masks must be worn at all times, except in classrooms. All children should have their own mask and a spare, preferably labelled with their name. If you would prefer that your child continues to wear a mask in the classroom, we are very happy to accommodate this.
- Year 3 and 4 Students to enter through Gate A
- Year 5 and 6 Students to enter through Gate B
- Bus children to enter via Gate C
- All parents must wear a mask on site and will only be allowed to come on site at the end of the day to pick up children from the designated areas, (small field Year 3 - 5 and basketball court, Year 6). All parents should enter through Gate A and exit through Gate B.
- Parents must have an appointment if they need to come on site at any other time. Please email or call Ms Nhi. Nhi.Mai@bisvietnam.com 028 3744 4551
We know many parents will have questions around end of term procedures. I would like to reassure you all that we are looking at all options and have a number of scenarios planned depending on directives from the Government regarding Health and Safety. When we have more concrete details, we will share them with you.
Have a wonderful and safe weekend.
Deirdre Grimshaw, Head of the Junior Campus