- Together, write up a daily schedule (giving children some choices when possible) and post it where everyone can see it.
- Remind children that they are an important part of the family and include some age-appropriate responsibilities such as picking up toys, feeding pets, or helping you sort laundry.
- There’s always comfort in the familiar, so try to stick to some old routines. Keep bedtime the same if at all possible, maybe choosing one lullaby or story they can look forward to every night, which can give children a sense of control.
- At the same time, so much is different—it’s a great time to create new routines to help everyone feel more connected and comforted. Any bit of normalcy helps! Together, plan a new family tradition or ritual, such as:
- Preparing a special meal or snack together on a certain night (children might make placemats). Mealtimes can be full of learning moments.
- Having breakfast in a blanket fort together, or lunch on a picnic blanket on the floor.
- Going around the dinner table and talking about one thing you’re thankful for or one good thing that happened that day.
- Playing a card or board game together every night.
- Keeping up story-time, with a twist. Now is a great time to make up silly stories together. Humor and fun help bring down everyone’s anxiety level.
- Looking at the moon every night or counting the stars before bed.
- Sharing some extra quiet time at bedtime. Give each other a hug, reflect on the day, and say something like “I was proud of you when…”.
- Don’t forget that children will miss their friends as well. Planning virtual playdates via ZOOM will help them stay connected and having something to look out for. It’s also a great opportunity for you to stay in touch with other parents.
- It’s okay if your new routines don’t go as planned. If you don’t get to the activity you had planned for the morning, try it in the afternoon—or the next day, or the day after that. Don’t put pressure on yourself to get everything done—remember, children are resilient and so are you.
- Even small changes help us to grow for the better.
A new daily routine we would like to put in place in Preschool and Primary is LUNCH ZOOM BUNCH: a virtual get together for children from the same year level (PS1 - Grade 5) facilitated by the counselling department. LUNCH ZOOM BUNCH will offer an opportunity for your child to stay connected with other children from their year level in a safe and friendly environment. Enrollment is open weekly on a first come first serve basis. Once you have enrolled your child for a weekly session, you will receive a ZOOM invitation via email to join LUNCH ZOOM BUNCH for that particular date and time.
Please send an email with your child’s name, grade, preferred date and time (see schedule) to: firstname.lastname@example.org if you want your child to participate this week starting from Tuesday 31/03. We are looking forward to welcoming your child in LUNCH ZOOM BUNCH!
- PS 1: Monday 06/04 from 12noon – 12:30pm (max 7)
- PS 2: Tuesday 31/03 from 12noon – 12:30pm (max 7)
- PS 3: Wednesday 01/04 from 12noon – 12:30pm (max 7)
- Grade 1: Monday 06/04 from 1pm – 1:30pm (max 7)
- Grade 1: Friday 03/04 from 12noon – 12:30pm (max 7)
- Grade 2: Tuesday 31/03 from 1pm – 1:30pm (max 10)
- Grade 3: Wednesday 01/04 from 1pm – 1:30pm (max 10)
- Grade 4: Thursday 02/04 from 11:30m – 12noon (max 10)
- Grade 5: Friday 03/04 from 1pm – 1:45pm (max 10)
P.S.: ZOOM can be downloaded here.
Submissions are sent to us, not posted here.