About British International School of Chicago, South Loop
The British International School of Chicago, South Loop (BISC-SL) is seeking a Learning Assistant to join its dynamic staff. BISC-SL is a highly successful and the fastest growing school in Chicago and has established a reputation for excellence in the Chicago market. The contemporary, learning-driven school is located in the South Loop area of Chicago, serving both American and international families.
In this position the chosen candidate will be teaching in our Early Years and Nursery department.
Our Learning Assistants work in partnership with teachers and are complementary to the needs of the children. Learning assistants are expected to play a full part in implementing the planned curriculum for the benefit of the children with whom they have contact. Learning assistants may be given responsibility of leading a class of children from time to time. Learning assistants may also be required to work with groups of children outside of the classroom when necessary.
Core duties and responsibilities
- To work and share within the life of the school according to the above job purpose.
- To participate fully in the development, safety, health and welfare of the children.
- To work with individual or small groups of children on a variety of activities, including assisting teachers with the observation, assessment and recording of children’s progress if required.
- To foster good and appropriate working relationships with children, parents and outside agencies.
Required Education, Certifications, and Experience
- B.A. degree,
- Degree concentration in an education-related field preferred
- Minimum 1 year teaching-related experience
- Ability and desire to work well with and lead a group of children
- Can follow directions exceptionally
- Strong listening and interpersonal skills
- Ability to maintain confidential information
- Strong knowledge of educational best-practices
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
The Learning Assistant will work in a classroom with children and a teacher. Knowledge of common school-related technology is required including, but not limited to, computers, interactive whiteboards, telephones etc. as needed to perform their duties. The noise level in the work environment varies, and the work is mostly active.
Compensation and Benefits
Competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package, including: Medical, Dental, Vision, and 401k.
Nord Anglia Education provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Nord Anglia Education complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.