GENERAL WATER SAFETY TIPS
THESE ARE GENERAL WATER SAFETY TIPS WHENEVER SWIMMING OR ENJOYING ANY BODY OF WATER (POOLS, LAKES, PONDS, QUARRIES, RIVERS OR OCEANS & BEACHES):
1. Never swim alone.
2. Read and obey all rules and signs.
3. If you see someone in danger don't try to swim and rescue them.
4. Swim in areas that are supervised by lifeguards.
5. Take extra precautions such as wearing an approved life jacket.
6. Set water safety rules for your family (for example, never enter the water without approval from your parents).
7. Know how to prevent, recognise and respond to emergencies.
8. Never dive, use a feet first entry when entering the water.
9. Do not mix alcohol with swimming or boating. Alcohol impairs judgement, balance and coordination, affects your swimming and reduces your body's ability to stay warm.
10. Pools should be enclosed completely with a fence that has a self-latching gate and vertical bars to prevent climbing.