From our Secondary School Counsellor, Naomi Taylor
Time constraints, pressure of work & family commitments can sometimes result in parents’ finding themselves without time to meet one of the most basic of our needs – eating…but not just any old eating….I am referring specifically to eating as a family.
Recent research has been conducted and the results are quite something (see the link at the end of this if you wish to read further).
- Eating as a family promotes healthier eating habits; we get to model to our children what healthy choices can look like – portion size and food types. This decreases chances of developing eating disorders.
- Eating as a family provides opportunity to share ideas and values, talk about the day or make plans for the future…it is the perfect time to find out a little more about your children.
- Eating as a family provides a sense of belonging, connectedness and promotes increased self-esteem.
- Eating as a family doesn’t have to be a chore, children can also be a part of the meal planning, preparation and cleaning up too.
- Eating as a family has been shown to have educational benefits for children- wider vocabulary & improved focus to name but a few.
- Eating as a family has recently been proven to correlate with children becoming less likely to smoke, drink or use recreational substances.
So….what are you waiting for? Start planning and enjoying meal times together, round the table – sharing, enjoying and knowing that you are modelling something that promotes positive well-being.