From 16th March - 27th March, 2015, the secondary school will host the second annual Portable Magic: ‘The BSB Festival of Books and Big Ideas’.
The festival is a celebration of reading and innovative thought which will last for two weeks. Students at BSB will take part in a wide range of activities and learning experiences that will be enjoyable but also educational and thought provoking. We are hoping that this year’s event is going to be even bigger than last year’s.
Throughout the two week period, a number of exciting events will be taking place both within school and outside of school. Some of these include:
- Organising visiting authors to work with students. Last year, renowned historian Paul Ham, award-winning children’s writer and illustrator Gabrielle Wang and the Scottish National Poet herself Liz Lochhead all visited the school to work with students in secondary.
- Students from different year groups will also have the opportunity to attend talks and events at the Bookworm Literary Festival in Sanlitun. From talks on Feminism, Politics and Urbanisation to Science-Fiction, Slam Poetry and Graphic Novels, there is something for all pupils to enjoy
- Organising trips to meet and work with authors at The Bookworm
- Literary Flash Mobs – Students performing scenes from works of Literature around school (this year the Languages department will also be doing this in a variety of languages)
- A House Competition in which students design alternative covers for books that they love
- Drop Everything and Read
- A 100 word short story competition that can be completed in tutor time
We expect this to be an action packed celebration of books and the joys of reading.
Watch out for more exciting announcements about what will be happening during the festival in the coming weeks!
Update from: Mr. Gary Cairns, Head of English