Want to learn more about the interesting culture of China? Our BSB Parents' Association is presenting a series of China talks this year and have invited China experts to share fascinating insights on different aspects of Chinese history, traditions & society.
This month, our speaker Inge Jansen will talk about “The Imperial Examination System”
- Date: Thursday 24th September
- Time: 9am-12pm
- Location: The British School of Beijing (BSB) Shunyi Theatre
- Cost: RMB 100 per person per session, part of the proceeds go to charity
- RSVP: Limited places - please reserve your seat by contacting Catherine Taylor firstname.lastname@example.org">email@example.com
Topic: The Imperial Examination System
For centuries the examination system was the only way to obtain a civil service post in the Chinese government. Candidates had to pass through several exams, from local, to district, provincial and palace examinations. The exams were based on knowledge of the Confucian classics. In this talk you will hear why the imperial examination system was implemented, we will tell you about the success stories and the cheating and why the system had to be abandoned after being in use for more than 1000 years.
- Inge Jansen is sinologist and author of travel books on China, Beijing, Shanghai.
Upcoming China Talks:
- Thursday 22nd October: Beauty in China
- Thursday 24th November: China and its Neighbours, Part 1
- Tuesday 1st December: China and its Neighbours Part 2
- Thursday 10th December: Chinese symbols
- Thursday 28th January: Chinese New Year Traditions