For the Week of 12th - 18th March, 2016, BSB will host the third annual Portable Magic: ‘The BSB Festival of Books and Big Ideas’. The festival is a celebration of reading and innovative thought which will last for one week. Primary & Secondary students will take part in a wide range of activities and learning experiences that will be enjoyable, educational and thought provoking. We are hoping that this year’s event is going to be even bigger than last year’s.
Over the course of the week, a number of exciting events will be taking place both within school and outside of school as part of our celebration of reading. Some of these include:
- The Big Read – A community event on Saturday 12th March 11am -3pm. Why not come into school and join us for a celebration of reading, poetry & music inspired by some of our most treasured books. We will turn the lobby of the school into a big reading area where pupils, teachers, parents and members of the community can sit down together with a book and enjoy some quiet reading time. As well as being a great opportunity to read, there will be other events taking place throughout the morning such as poetry readings and musical performances. We will also be hosting a Book Nook for Roundabout!
- Musical performances linked to famous books (Thank you to the music department)
- Organising trips to meet and work with authors at The Bookworm
- Literary Flash Mobs – Students performing scenes from works of Literature around school
- A House Competition in which students illustrate poems that they love
- Drop Everything and Read
- A video of Y1-6 imitation played on the screens around the school.
- A Special Teacher performance, in Primary
- Dress Up day - dress as a book character, in Primary
We expect this to be an action packed celebration of books and the joys of reading.
Please click the link below to read about The Big Read community event on Saturday 12th March, 2016.
Update from: Mr. Gary Cairns, Head of English