The British School of Beijing, Shunyi
BSB is at an exciting stage of its development, having grown very significantly in the past few years and now numbering approximately 1,100 students aged 1-18. We have outstanding students from approximately 60 nationalities, who thrive academically and who are committed to achieving their best, and who grow with us as true global citizens through our culture of respect, opportunity and personal development. We also have highly supportive parents who engage fully in the life of the school and their children’s education.
The school is housed in a purpose-built campus with outstanding facilities in the safe and family-friendly suburb of Shunyi, which is only 20 km from the city centre of Beijing, which is without doubt one of the most exciting and culturally rich world capitals in which to live .
To learn more about our school, and the post, please click on the attachments, and visit http://www.nordangliaeducation.com/our-schools/beijing/shunyi
Beijing is without doubt one of the most exciting cities in the world in which to live. The city is changing almost daily due to the flourishing Chinese economy, and yet maintains one of the most culturally rich environments imaginable – the Forbidden City, the Great Wall (which you can see from the school) and the histories of the various dynasties are all easily accessible for a day visit, as are all the cultural, musical, dramatic and sporting activities and nightlife that you would expect from one of the world’s major capital cities. The Western media has written much about the pollution in our city, and it can be bad on occasion, but we have full measures in place to ensure our school is almost pollution free, and the sunny Beijing ‘blue sky’ days certainly far outnumber the occasional bad pollution days. Above all, the local population welcome our international colleagues warmly and we maintain excellent relations with our local Chinese schools and community.
Nord Anglia Education
With 42 schools across China, Europe, the Middle East, Southeast Asia and North America, the success of Nord Anglia Education is built on an international, networked team where ideas, learning and best practice are shared around the globe as we strive to maintain our position as the world’s leading premium schools organisation. As a result, we offer our colleagues a true learning community which is committed to the development of every member of that community, excellent personal and professional development, including through Nord Anglia University, and career opportunities within the school and within our family of schools. In the context of this role, the successful applicant will also be supported by the expertise of our Regional HE Director.
Students at BSB aspire to the best universities and courses in the world, including Ivy League, Oxbridge, the Russell Group and the most prestigious universities in their home countries. In order to fully leverage their applications, the ideal candidate for this post will be an experienced and qualified university guidance counsellor, committed to young people and able to support and guide individuals and families and also on occasion to teach groups in a classroom situation. You will be able to work with teachers and form tutors to extend guidance throughout the secondary school. You will be an outstanding communicator, able to motivate and inspire. You may have a subject teaching qualification and specialism but this is not essential.
In addition to holding a relevant Bachelor level (at least) degree, the successful candidate will join all our colleagues in:
- Being passionate about young people and education and being able to engage and motivate students, based on high expectations;
- Showing commitment to the principle that all children can achieve beyond what they previously thought possible;
- Having a great capacity to assimilate detailed knowledge accurately and swiftly;
- Engaging in the whole school and be part of the team supporting young people in their entire development;
- Seeking to consistently improve his/her own practice through Continuous Professional Development;
- Promoting the wider aspirations and values of the school;
- Having at least five years’ experience in an educational field (essential for visa regulation although please do ask if interested as this regulation is quite complex);
The ideal candidate should:
- be able to assist with the development of the PSHE programmes for KS3, KS4 and the Sixth Form, where it relates to careers and university guidance;
- have or have the ability to develop an effective network of contacts in universities worldwide;
- Be familiar with, and able to administer, university entrance tests as appropriate;
- be ICT literate and be able to offer one or more extra–curricular activities related to university application;
In return, we will offer you:
- Outstanding students from approximately 60 nationalities, with impeccable attitudes and behaviour and who are committed to achieving their best;
- Highly supportive parents who engage fully in the life of the school and their children’s education;
- A true learning community which is committed to the development of every member of that community;
- Excellent personal and professional development, including through Nord Anglia University, and career opportunities within the school and within our family of schools;
- A competitive salary;
Above all, we believe that every student can achieve amazingly if they pursue their dreams and aspirations, be that academically or in the other fields in which we excel, such as sport, the performing and creative arts, leadership or commitment to the community. If you would like to be part of that success, we look forward to receiving your application.
Please apply as soon as possible. The initial closing date for applications is Friday 18 March 2016 but we are willing to close the process early should a highly suitable candidate present themselves, especially if this is needed to get the visa application process started as quickly as possible.