Secondary students have literacy as a cross curriculum theme in lessons with visiting authors and other exciting events. Primary children will also take part.
Throughout the two week period, a number of exciting events will be taking place both within school and outside of school. Some of these include:
· Organising visiting authors to work with students
· Organising trips to meet and work with authors at The Bookworm
· Literary Flash Mobs – Students performing scenes from works of Literature around school (this year the Languages department will also be doing this in a variety of languages)
· A House Competition in which students design alternative covers for books that they love
· Drop Everything and Read
· A 100 word short story competition that can be completed in tutor time
Our visiting authors are
Zohab Zee Khan – Tuesday 17th March
(Slam Poetry Boot camp – Helping students to write and perform their own poetry)
Zohab Zee Khan is nomadic spoken word artist, originally hailing from Wagga Wagga NSW. He is the founding director of Zee Poetics, an organisation that aims to inspire a new generation of poets through performance based workshops. Zohab won the APS NSW Slam in 2012. He has also recently won the title of the 2014 Australian Poetry Slam Champion!
Damon Young – Monday 23rd March
(Workshop for IB students combining philosophy and exercise)
Dr Damon Young is a philosopher and writer. He is the author of Distraction, Philosophy in the Garden, and the recently published How to Think About
Exercise. His books have been published in Australia and abroad, and translated into various languages, including Italian, Spanish, Dutch, Turkish, and Korean.
Damon is also the author of two children’s books: My Nanna is a Ninja and My Pop is a Pirate. He recently won the AAP media prize for his work as a public intellectual.