1. A structured day
There is no doubt that beginning a new academic year with online learning is a huge challenge for all children, parents and teachers. Unfortunately, the COVID-19 pandemic is persisting, bringing uncertainty and a lack of clarity as to when schools may be allowed to open their doors in Jakarta. Therefore, we believe it is important that NAS Jakarta provides a Virtual School Experience that supports and improves our children’s levels of confidence and independence at this time of uncertainty.
Children learn best when there is structure and routine, so our new-look Virtual School Experience has been carefully constructed around a daily timetabled combination of:
- Live lessons
- Time to work on set tasks or receive feedback about learning
- Times for the children to meet together in their class groups, both formally and informally
Older children were able to follow their timetable independently from day one whilst it naturally takes a little longer or greater support is required for our youngest children, but the routines of the structured day support everyone at home with virtual school.
2. Personalised contact for children with their teachers
NAS Jakarta is a school that listens to what its community is saying. Feedback from last term called for an increase in the amount of personalised support, encouragement and feedback from teachers.
So, we have taken a number of steps to improve this:
- The structure of our live lessons means that after the lesson’s introduction and teaching points, individual children or small groups can then work directly with their teacher.
- Constructive feedback or encouragement is posted on our learning platforms of Tapestry or Seesaw.
- From Year 1 to Year 6/7, every child has their own NAS Learner Profile to record key achievements. Copies have been delivered home in NAS Jakarta “Discovery Bags” or online for families overseas.
- Weekly “Stars of the Week” are now directly linked to our Virtual School Experience and are awarded in every class from Year 1 to Year 6/7.