North Broward Prep currently participates in The Family Empowerment Scholarship for Students with Unique Abilities through the Florida Department of Education (FES-UA).
This branch of the Family Empowerment Scholarship Program is designed to offer families of students with disabilities, as young as 3 years of age, access to additional education options. Families may choose to enroll their student in another public school, or they may take the opportunity to receive a personal education savings account (ESA) for their student. With an ESA, parents receive a deposit of public funds into government-authorized savings accounts with restricted, but multiple, uses. An ESA can be used to fund not only items such as private school tuition and fees, but also online learning programs, private tutoring, community college costs, higher education expenses and other approved customized learning services and materials. Families apply and annually renew for participation in FES UA through one of the approved SFOs, which are responsible for determining eligibility, awarding and distributing funding to eligible student accounts, and approving eligible expenditures.
To apply for this scholarship, please visit the Family Empowerment Scholarship website here.
For a list of frequently asked questions on the transition from the McKay Scholarship for Students with Disabilities to the Family Empowerment Scholarship for Students with Unique Abilities, please visit here.
Current NBP Scholar Students
North Broward Prep will automatically re-enroll your child for the following year as an enrolled student in the Family Empowerment Scholarship for Students with Unique Abilities as long as you:
- complete your intent with the School Choice department (refer to the email you received from the Department of Education)
- meet the re-enrollment deadline set forth by the Office of Admissions each year. Your child's re-enrollment contract will not include the scholarship amount allocated by the Florida Department of Education. You will see the scholarship amount reflected as a credit on your statements.
Newly Enrolled NBP Students
For new students who have enrolled:
1. File your intent with the Florida Department of Education.
2. Complete this form in order to successfully be registered as a Family Empowerment Scholar at North Broward Prep.
3. The Office of Admissions will be in touch with you once you have completed the form to request additional information necessary to successfully register your child as a Family Empowerment Scholar at North Broward Prep.
5. Once enrolled, our Business Office will have your Family Empowerment Scholarship amount reflected on your first statement. Please note that your scholarship amount will not be reflected on your enrollment contract as we will not have the Family Empowerment Scholarship amount available until after you submit your enrollment contract to NBP.
If you are unsure of your child’s eligibility for the Family Empowerment Scholarship for Students with Unique Abilities, please visit the Florida Department of Education’s website.
For updates on the transition from McKay to the Family Empowerment Scholarchip for Students with Unique Abilities, please visit here.
Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 954.247.0179.